Thursday, February 7, 2008

You should follow Polar Bear Farm

During the Kiwi Foo Camp 2008 I had a chance to meet Layton Duncan. He's quite active on Geekzone, mainly in the Mac OS X Mobile forum, helping others with their iPhone and iPod touch questions and comments.

He is also involved with Polar Bear Farm and I think you should follow the company.

Why you should follow Polar Bear Farm? Because it's a New Zealand company creating application software for the Apple iPhone and iPod touch.

They are the guys behind the PBF Search and PBF ShowTime - this one brings video recording to the Apple iPhone.

I just wanted the guys added more posts to their blog - I know they were shoing off their stuff during the MacWorld but it would b good to hear more of their experience of going to that big show.

Read More

So, its been one full day with Windows Server 2008 now and have configured,

1) Active Directory Services
a) Created a new Domain Forest
b) Added Domain Users
c) Joined Vista machines to the Domain (right now 1, but more to come Laughing)
2) Configured .NET Environment
a) Installed IIS 7 (IIS 7 looks really nice than in Vista!)
b) Installed the .NET Environment (both .NET 3.0 and 3.5)
[ .NET 3.5 - you have to download and install ]
c) Installed WCF
d) Hosted my WCF Service in IIS

Still to install,
a) SQL Server 2005
b) WSUS for Windows Server 2008
[I am not able to get WSUS for Windows Server 2008 RTM, If anybody have any clue about that, please do leave your comment Smile)
Here are the Roles installed,



And Features installed,



Things are so easy with Windows Server 2008 Cool

More posts to come.....

Read More

them keysI recall that when I got my first computer, a C=64 and the 1st time I saw the message,

"PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE"

If you don't know the C=64 Keyboard, it has three layers of keys. So each key had the standard character + two symbols. It took a few seconds before I realised that my computer didn't have a "ANY" key hidden and it was meaning any key at all.

This made me think, as I had my morning coffee, how cool it would be to have keys like that, based around a programming language. Keys like AND NOT, well the basic logic instructions, would it have made programming easer. Then I had some cake, looked a buda and thought up a fake interview...

Reporter to Nintendo, "Some say the DS is stealing peoples Souls."
Nintendo replies "Don't worry you will get it on a higher level"

Read More

Yahoo! Music Unlimited will be shut down in "the first half" of this year. Yahoo! Music site will still remain, but subscribers will be shifted on to RealNetworks' Rhapsody music service.

Now how many of these poorly executed music services have collapsed?

[Via Engadget]

Read More

I've just finished downloading Windows Server 2008 RTM from Connect. You will notice that MSDN and Technet only have the 64 bit version, while Connect lists all versions but only for the next 30 days.

It took only 29 minutes to download Windows Server 2008 32 bit. I am now going to use this to upgrade the test environment on a virtual machine. This is in preparation for the migration of our Geekzone production server from Windows Server 2008 RC1 to RTM.

We have been running Windows Server 2008 RC1 on Geekzone for almost three months now as part of an early adopters programme with Microsoft. The experience couldn't have been better.

During this time we had only a couple of updates installed, only one restart because of this and installed a second drive to mirror the system. Modifying the drive to a dynamic partition and creating the mirror did not require a restart (as I remember it needed on Windows Server 2003) and all completed ok.

I have heard comments from Geekzone users on how they feel the site has been more responsive in the last few month - and I've noticed this too.

If you want to find out more about Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 check the Summer Road Trip.

As for Windows Vista SP1... I am waiting for it to be available for download, ready to install on my laptop.

Read More

It is unlikely that any other company could beat Microsoft's offer, say analysts Read More

No comments: