Sunday, February 10, 2008

iPod touch bug

iPod touch bug
Yes... there is a data leak that just happens (I've experienced it 5 times already.) Video podcast of the Macworld 2008 leaked into my list of songs... weird. To this point, I've been unsuccessful in reproducing this. This is confirmed as a 'intended' function, but I sure didn't place it in my favourite playlist, which made me think this is a leak. It comes and goes and also temporarily screws up my playlist as well. Can't watch this video? Click here.



Mozilla patches 11 Firefox bugs
Firefox 2.0.0.12 fixed four vulnerabilities that Mozilla ranked "critical," one it pegged "high" and three each rated as "moderate" and "low"

Excellent customer service from amazon.com
When living in the UK we were frequent customers of amazon.co.uk, and always found their service to be outstanding. Having a bit of a book habit, which has over time developed into a DVD video habit (notably Star Trek), amazon was a great place to buy.

Since being back in NZ, I have used amazon.com from time to time (Star Trek again not surprisingly). My son has developed a CSI New York habit now, and for Christmas requested seson three - amazon.com being the cheapest (and only) source, I put in an order just before Christmas, of course realising it would not be here for the big day, but the boy was okay with that.
I surreptitiously ordered a couple of DVD movies, making the most of the shipping charges.

The CDINY and one of the movies arrived a few days after Christmas - excellent, really enjoyed Star Trek II: The Search for Spock, and the boy was happy with his New York forensics adventures.

But what of the other DVD movie?? After a couple of weeks I contacted amazon.com, email through the web site, asking where my package was. I got an email straight back, stating that the DVD had been "lost in shipping", and they would send a replacement via "expedited international shipping". They did bill me for the replacement, but promptly refunded the charge, leaving me with a couple of dollars profit from the exchange rates.

I was quite pleased about this. Although I had to wait for a bit longer, there was no interrogation, amazon just effectively said: "There has been a problem, don't care whose fault, we will put it right." Take note NZ companies!!?!

But it doesn't end there! A day after amazon sorted it out, guess what? - the DVD arrived (from the orginal order)!

I could have just not mentioned anything, but being the honest geek that I am, I emailed amazon.com again to let them know I had received the item. As the replacement had already been shipped, amazon suggested that I could either pay for the replacement or return it. I investigated returning it, and when I informed amazon that I didn't want to pay for the return shipping (why should I be out of pocket?) they turned around and said "just keep it with our compliments". They even suggested that I donate it to a library or somewhere similar - very civic minded!!?!

I now have two copies of Trading Places, which is a truly entertaining and very funny movie. Any suggestions as to a home for the replacement? Still in it's original packaging, bearing in mind it is a zone 1 DVD.



FryUp: Under pressure
Telecom posts uninspiring figures while TV3's Gadget Guy gives his day-job a name-check

Why get broadband?
For the many dial-up users out there, with the event of ADSL2+ and all the hype about wireless broadband and that, many have asked - why get broadband?

Well, ihug thinks that one of the reasons to get broadband (not ihug broadband, but broadband in general) is because they're "one of the great bits of Vodafone".



They are going to be Vodafone, so should we all disconnect our broadband connections then? Laughing



Bruce Schneier on vendor lock-in
Bruce Schneier, the famed security researcher, has commented on the dangers of vendor lock-in strategies in this article. The title is a bit misleading, since it mentiones the iPhone. But in the article itself the iPhone is just one example. He addre... (more in the full post)



Vodafone looks to mobile broadband
New tack taken in UK

Kordia under fire for working for the Myanmar government
Our own state-owned company is being questioned over the fact that they've been helping the Myanmar (previously Burma) government by installing cell towers under a contract.

Our Prime Minister thinks it's "aiding democracy in Myanmar", while National Party MP Murray McCully says it's completely ridiculous. Even the Green Party has something to say.

Article - http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1318360/1570223
Video - http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1570661



Microsoft slates 12 patches for next week
Seven of the 12 will be tagged with the company's highest threat ranking

No comments: